Applications to the Joint Degree Program
All applicants should provide the following materials:
- Cover letter stating research interests and how these will be advanced by the Sociology Ph.D.
- Penn transcript.
- Letter from chair of home graduate group attesting to good standing in home program.
- Letter of endorsement from a standing faculty member in Sociology.
A copy of the original application to Penn may be requested, at the discretion of the graduate committee.
- Applications for the joint degree may be made by students no earlier than the second semester of their first year at Penn.
- Applications will be due each year on April 10 for consideration by the graduate committee.
- Decisions reached by the graduate committee will be recommended to the Department for approval at the final faculty meeting of the year.
- Admissions decisions will be contingent on meeting end-of-year benchmarks in the home program.
Continuation in Sociology:
- Continuation in Sociology will be contingent on meeting benchmarks for the Sociology program and providing annual documentation of good standing in the home department. If a student resigns or is not in good standing in the home department, continuation in the Sociology program is at the discretion of the Sociology Department faculty.
- Students admitted to the joint program in (or after) their second year are not guaranteed funding.
- The dissertation must be approved by faculty from both departments. At least two standing faculty members from Sociology must be on the dissertation committee.
Monday, March 27, 2017 - 12:00pm
103 McNeil Building
Monday, March 27, 2017 - 4:00pm
Annenberg 500 (3620 Walnut Street)
Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 10:00am
PSC Conference Room, 5th fl. McNeil Building