Dr. Tuğçe Ellialtı-Köse has been working as an LTA (limited-term appointment) at the rank of Assistant Professor in Sociology at Trent University since 2020. Her current term ends in the summer of 2021. She received her PhD from Sociology at the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, USA in Spring
2020. During her time at Penn, Tuğçe was affiliated with the Alice Paul Center, where she
was also awarded a Graduate Certificate in the Gender, Sexuality and Women's Studies
Program. She obtained her undergraduate degree in Sociology from Boğaziçi University and
her master’s degree in Cultural Studies from Sabancı University, İstanbul, Turkey. Her
academic interests are in Gender and Sexuality, Law and Society, Violence against Women,
Ethnography of the State, and Political Sociology.
In her doctoral dissertation, Tuğçe offered a feminist socio-legal analysis of the sexual assault
law with a focus on its three aspects, namely its making, practice, and effects. Based on an
extensive fieldwork, which consists of court observations, in-depth interviews, and a close
reading of legal texts, she examined the (re)production of normative discourses on
femininity, sexuality and morality by exploring the treatment of cases of sexual violence in
medico-legal institutions and courts in the wake of legal reforms in Turkey. Tuğçe’s
publications include an article on the disciplinary discourses of sexual morality on women’s
pre-marital sexual activity in Turkey, which appeared in the special issue of Cogito on
Michel Foucault; several op-eds on sexual violence, honor crimes, and women’s movements;
three encyclopedia entries on child abuse, family violence, and virginity; and a review of the
book entitled ‘Honour’: Crimes, Paradigms and Violence against Women (edited by Lynn
Welchman and Sara Hossain). Currently, she is working on two journal articles that are based
on her dissertation. She is also a member of Güldünya Yayınları, a feminist publishing
collective based in İstanbul, where she made editorial contributions to the Turkish
translations of two books, including Angela Davis’s recent book Freedom is a Constant
Gender and Sexuality, Law and Society, Sociology of Law, Cultural Sociology, Violence against Women, Ethnography of the State, Political Sociology, Research Methods
Reforming the Laws: Gender, State, and Cases of Sexual Violence in Turkey
Robin L. Leidner (co-chair), Emily C. Hannum (co-chair), Deborah A. Thomas (Anthropology), Fatma Muge Gocek (Sociology and Women’s Studies)
- Women, Law, and Social Change. University of Western Ontario. 2019-2020.
- Trends in Gender Issues. University of Guelph-Humber. 2019.
- Sociology of Health Care. Trent University. 2019.
- Introduction to Women, Public Policy & the Law. University of Toronto Mississauga. 2018.
- Gender, Sexualities & the Law. Trent University. 2018.
- Sociological Analysis. Boğaziçi University. 2018, 2017, 2014, 2013.
- Sociology of Gender. University of Pennsylvania. 2015, 2011.
- Proseminar in Sociological Research. University of Pennsylvania. 2011.
- Quantitative Methods in Sociology I. University of Pennsylvania. 2009-2010.
- Introduction to Sociological Research. University of Pennsylvania. 2010.
- Major Works of Western Art. Sabancı University. 2006-2008.