MEDICAL SOCIOLOGY MINOR
Prospective Medical Sociology minors must fill out the Medical Sociology Minor worksheet and submit to Marcus T. Wright, the Undergraduate Program Manager (email@example.com, 215-898-7664).
The Medical Sociology minor gives students the opportunity to engage in the sociological study of medicine and the health of populations. A sociological perspective on medicine allows students to critically engage with the social and cultural framing of what is defined as “illness”; the structural factors that may contribute to those illnesses; and the interactive dynamics between healthcare providers and patients.
Students will be able to critically connect the organization of social groups with the profession of medicine, the practice of medical care, and the social factors that contribute to sickness and well-being. Students who complete this minor will have a theoretical foundation in Sociology, and a dynamic perspective on health and healthcare in the world today.
REQUIREMENTS OUTLINE (6 TOTAL CU's)
*Bioethics and Medical Sociology minors cannot double count more than 1 CU.
*HSOC majors and Medical Sociology minors cannot double count more than 1 CU.
- SOCI 001 – Introduction to Sociology
- SOCI 100 – Introduction to Sociological Research
- SOCI 175 – Medical Sociology
Any 1 of the following Methods courses:
- SOCI 111 – Health of Populations
- SOCI 120 – Social Statistics
- SOCI 128 – Introduction to Demographic Methods
- SOCI 221 – Sample Survey Methods
- SOCI 222 – Field Methods of Sociological Research
Any 1 of the following Substantive Courses:
- SOCI 007 – Population and Society
- SOCI 118 – Sociology of Bioethics
- SOCI 134 – Health and Social Policy
- SOCI 152 – American Health Policy
- SOCI 231 – Global Health
- SOCI 259 – Social Determinants of Health
- SOCI 264 – Poverty, Race and Health
- SOCI 273 – Law, Medicine and Public Policy
- SOCI 274 – AIDS in Historical Perspective
- SOCI 277 - Mental Illness
- SOCI 307 – Race, Science and Justice
- SOCI 334 – Health and Social Policy
- SOCI 437 – Cultural Models and Health
- NURS 103 - Psychological and Social Diversity in Health and Wellness
- NURS 313 - Obesity and Society
- NURS 315 - Sociocultural Influences on Health
1 Sociology or related course from any of the following disciplines:
- Health & Societies
- Biological Basis of Behavior
- Political Science