Jerry Jacobs, Ph.D.
Work and Family News:
Research conducted by Jerry A. Jacobs and Kathleen Gerson was the subject of a New York Times article on December 10, 2015. Claire Cain Miller, who writes the "Modern Families" column for the Times, focused her article on Jacobs and Gerson's research on changing attitudes toward the employment of mothers and fathers of young children.
Jerry A. Jacobs appeared on Radio Times with Marty Moss-Coane on Monday, December 22, 2014, as part of a discussion of men's and women's labor force participation. Radio Times is a regular feature on WHYY, the Philadelphia affiliate of National Public Radio.
Jerry A. Jacobs was quoted in an August 11, 2014 story in Time Magazine that critically assess popular advice on work-family issues.
Jerry A. Jacobs received the Worklife Legacy Award at the June 2014 meetings of the Work and Family Researchers Network in New York. The Award recognized Jacobs’ scholarly and organizational contributions to the work-family field.
The Work and Family Researchers Network (WFRN) is holding its third biennial meeting in Washington DC on June 22-25, 2016. Jerry A. Jacobs helped to plan the meetings, in his roles as Executive Officer of WFRN and as a member of the 2016 WFRN Program Committee. The meetings were very successful, building on the momentum created at the 2012 and 2014 meeting. Over 700 participants from 42 countries are expected to participate. New features of the 2016 include a Congressional Briefing, "Congressional Education Policy Day," and a newly reworked "Practitioner Day."
Jerry A. Jacob's book, In Defense of Disciplines has been featured in five "Author Meets Critics" sessions: at the American Sociological Association Meetings (August 2015, Chicago), the Southern Sociological Society Meetings (March 2015, New Orleans), the Social Science History Association Meetings (November 2014, Toronto), the Association for Integrative Studies Meetings at Michigan State University (October 2014), and the Eastern Sociological Society Meetings (February 2014, Baltimore).
The Chronicle of Higher Education featured an essay by Jerry A. Jacobs entitled “Why the Disciplines Still Matter in its “Commentary” section on May 27, 2014.
Books--Please click on the cover for more information.
JOURNALS, SPECIAL ISSUES
ARTICLES AND BOOK CHAPTERS
OPEN ACCESS REPOSITORY PUBLICATIONS
THE DELMAR HOTEL AND THE CATSKILL MOUNTAINS
THE ACADEMIC JOB MARKET IN SOCIOLOGY: THE ASA JOB BANK
THE AMERICAN SOCIOLOGICAL REVIEW
1977 A.B., Sociology, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA
1983 Ph.D., Sociology, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA
- Sociology 2: Social Problems
- Sociology 130: Work and Careers in the 21st Century
- Sociology 555/556: Proseminar for First Year Graduate Students in Sociology
- Management 104: Industrial Relations and Human Resource Management (Wharton School, Management Department)
- The Impact of Technology on the Future of Work
- Experimental Survey Study of Attitudes toward the Employment of Parents of Young Children Uisng TESS Data (Time Sharing Experiments in the Social Sciences)
- Study of Women's Interest in STEM Fields
- Study of the Development of Career Plans by Undergraduates
- Regularly presents at the Annual Meetings of the American Sociological Association
- Conference Organizer, Work and Family Researchers Network Conference (2012, 2014)